I spoke with the boss man, and he said that the company was firm in their desire to have me work M, W, Th 8-3 pm (rather than the previously approved M, Th, Fr 8-4:30 pm). And, in addition they want me to work from home on Tuesday for up to 4 hours-checking and responding to email and taking calls from the office, but I wouldn’t be expected to call clients.
Aside from having to tell the Nanny that we don’t need her on Friday anymore (this is a whole other conversation) Wednesday is the difficult day…as hubby can only take half day. So, I offered up this schedule: Monday 8-3 pm ,Wed 7-12 pm and Thursday 8-3 pm, as well as working from home on Tuesday, and for a couple of hours temporarily on Wednesday as a tentative solution. I also agreed to actively look for a way to work the requested hours on Wed.
Boss Man is going to present it to the owners and let me know tomorrow. He is hopeful, and wants to make it work. In fact, he sounded almost as desperate as I felt to make it work. I asked him why they were changing the schedule that he and I agreed on weeks ago…he didn’t know. But, seemed to feel frustrated as he is now in a difficult position too.
I feel confused and like I may have misunderstood a few conversations with the owners. At one point , via email, the owner said…lets wait until late Sept./early Oct. to confirm your schedule. I thought he was just buying time to be sure I wouldn’t change my mind again…but, he really meant what he said. I should have addressed it…as how could I wait that long to ‘confirm’ my schedule…? I have an infant to make arrangements for, and my husband’s work schedule has to be considered…not to mention the nanny and her availability.
The good part of this new schedule is that we save 9 hours worth of Nanny pay, I have built in 3 day weekends, and Mondays are often the day many holidays fall on. The bad part is two fold–the Nanny loses 9 hours worth of pay… I am not sure how I am going to break this news to her. It isn’t a good idea to make the person who is caring for your most loved baby upset or bitter. Secondly, hubby and I were looking forward to 4 hours worth of overlapping time on Wednesday. I was going to use this day to schedule doctors/dentist/hair appointments. Now, I will either have to take Elliott with me, arrange for a sitter, take time off of work, or go after hours.
More to follow…